The Massachusetts Department of Transportation (MassDOT) has recently announced plans to spend at least $100,000 fixing and bolstering Route 79 in Fall River, Massachusetts after a fire following a truck accident late last month. The fire that damaged the road occurred after a long-haul truck struck the barrier and caught fire on Route 79 South, above the intersection of Davol and Central Street. The flames from the truck accident extended up and scorched Route 79 North, directly above. As a result, numerous girders were twisted, support beams were buckled, and other essential road parts were compromised. In all, state officials deemed the repairs necessary to avoid future car accidents and truck accidents as a result of the damaged road. The repairs, however, will only be temporary, as the state plans to completely revamp Route 79 over the next few years. For now, though, the measures are necessary to avoid car accidents and potentially serious injuries in the short-term.
Miraculously, the driver of the truck, a 42-year-old Taunton, Massachusetts man sustained only minor personal injuries as a result of the truck accident. Route 79, however, was badly damaged. According to Michael Verseckes, DOT spokesman, the repair plans included stacking wooden cribbing under Route 79 North to bolster the road and reduce the risk of future car and truck accidents. Highway Administrator for the DOT, Frank DePaola, noted that the state would like to minimize the amount of money put into the repairs, as a large-scale project involving the stretch of road is on the horizon. According to DePaola, demolition on the tangle of ramps and overpasses surrounding Interstate 195 could begin within a year. Nonetheless, these repairs will cost in excess of $100,000.
If you have been in a car or truck accident, contact the experienced Massachusetts traffic accident attorneys at Bellotti Law Group today at 617-225-2100. We have offices in Boston, Cambridge, and Quincy and serve all of Massachusetts and New England. We have successfully handled thousands of car accidents and will work with you to get your bills paid and your life back on track. You can also use our contact form. We will respond promptly.
Car and truck accidents are unfortunately common occurrences in the state. However, there are steps you can take to minimize the unpleasant effects and potentially save time and money. The car accidents attorneys at Bellotti Law Group offer the following action plan to take following an accident:
1. Keep an Emergency Kit in Your Glove Compartment or Trunk–A simple emergency kit should include such items as a fully charged cell phone (old cell phones can still be used to make emergency phone calls), a flashlight, a pen and paper for exchanging notes, a disposable camera for taking pictures of damage to the vehicle and/or the scene, and any important medical information should you require care for injuries.
2. Ensure you are in a Safe Position–Drivers without serious injuries should move their vehicle out of traffic to avoid another collision. If the car cannot be moved, do not attempt to leave the vehicle, where you may risk a pedestrian accident. Instead, keep your seat belt on, put on your hazard lights, and wait for help to arrive.
3. Exchange Information with the Other Driver–Following a car accident, drivers should exchange their name, address, insurance company, policy number, drivers’ license number, vehicle owner information, and telephone number.
4. Complete an Accident Report– Even if a police officer does not respond to the scene of the car accident and injuries are not immediately apparent, all drivers should file a Massachusetts crash report. Additionally, police reports often expedite the insurance claims process. It should be noted, however, that you should not admit fault to the other party, insurance company, or the police immediately after the accident, even if you believe you may be at fault or innocently or nervously accept blame. This will be for the insurance companies to sort out later.
5. Know Your Insurance Policy Coverage–Having knowledge of what your insurance policy covers can save you money on services that aren’t ultimately necessary and may involve out-of-pocket costs, like towing and rental car costs. If your policy covers less than what you desire, you can often boost your coverage for a minimal increase in monthly payments (for example, it is not uncommon for rental car reimbursement to be added for only a few extra dollars per month).
If you have been injured in a car accident or truck accident, contact the experienced and successful Boston, Cambridge, and Quincy car accident attorneys at Bellotti Law Group. It is imperative to talk to an experienced Massachusetts car accident attorney at Bellotti Law Group before speaking with either insurance company or accepting any settlement offers. Our Boston car accident lawyers meticulously review your medical treatment records and lost wages to help you recoup what your deserve. We will get your bills paid and your life in order, either through settlement negotiations or litigation in court.
Contact the Massachusetts traffic accident attorneys at Bellotti Law Group today.